Ideally you should take a full year to research and then write your dissertation. But life can get in the way and you could end up with mere months in which to complete this all-important document. This can cause a lot of stress, but we have complied a list of suggestions to help you with this great undertaking.
- Research early -do all of your research early if you want to finish in four months. You will then be able to focus on writing not gathering the references that you need to prove your point. This is especially true with your interviews and your case studies or surveys.
- Meet your advisor often-your advisor or dissertation faculty member is the expert. By scheduling regular meetings you can handle all questions and concerns without having them pile up and prevent you from moving ahead in your work. You can make these appointments well in advance. Just make sure do not skip any scheduled appointments, this will indicate that the process is not important to you. If you must cancel do so three days in advance of the appointment meeting. You never want your advisor to think you are flippant about this large undertaking.
- Have a schedule-you have to make a schedule and then you have to stick to the schedule. It should have milestones and bigger goals. In addition to this, your day has to be scheduled for writing and working. Studies have shown that keeping the same routine with the same work time makes for a more productive workday.
- Hire out the small stuff-if you concentrate on the big stuff such as gathering information, interviewing, and writing; you can hire out a professional to do the little stuff. You could hire someone or a writing company to help with the formatting, to type the paper, to make the reference page, or to even edit the paper for you. You can talk to a writing company and see what fits your budget and your needs. The companies are quite affordable to employ.
- Take care of yourself-eat correctly, exercise, and take time to de-stress. If you get ill during this project, then you may not be able to make up for the lost time. It is very important that you take care of yourself. Sign up for that yoga class now.